[Sca-cooks] Re: Sicilian pizza

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 13 09:38:39 PST 2005

>My local pizzeria makes a Sicilian pie with onions and crumbs with  olive
>oil instead of cheese, but unfortunately I don't think they're  open this
>early...

It's interesting how I always see things advertised as "Sicilian" that I
never encountered in my year in Sicily. I guess it's kind of like everything
is now "Tuscan" whether someone in Tuscany would recognize it or
not.

Probably didn't encounter it as pizza because it wasn't called that; sounds like sfincione from Palermo. The bread crumbs is the kicker; surprised this stuff didn't have the anchovies.

Ah, I see others have made the sfincione reference; never mind!

Hot dogs on the pizza? Well, I see why my uncle's pizza-making skills are simply horrific. ;-)

Gianotta