[Sca-cooks] Re: 1638 work on the place of the Steward

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Dec 13 12:43:08 PST 2005

I should point out that this one is marked as pp. 626, so this isn't a
very small work either.
Not quite as big as Scappi, but not small either.
Forni has some interesting stuff. You can browse their webpages in an
English version.
Another they have is this 1639 one--
<> Giegher Mattia, Li tre trattati di Mattia Giegher, Trinciante in Padova
(Padova, 1639). (TG) In-8 oblungo, pp. 102, tavv. 49 f.t., ril. Carta a
mano

Three very short treatises but widely illustrated with large plates. The
first includes pictures about the ways to fold tablecloths and napkins.
The second "teaches ...the manner to put drinks on the table". The third
how to cut every kind of meat. €. 34,00 34 Euros

and there's other one on stewardship--
<> Lancellotti Vittorio, Lo scalco prattico
(Roma, 1627). (TG) Presentazione di G. Roversi. In-8, pp. 310, br.

The key role at a convivial banquet was that of the steward. The steward
was essentially the director of the proceedings because he was expected
to stage the whole event and invent various ploys to capture the
attention of the banqueters. Himself the creator, director and artificer
of solemn feasts, Lancellotti offers here a truly vast gastronomic
repertory, with no lack of singular and extravagant proposals. €. 39,00

Johnnae llyn Lewis