[Sca-cooks] Re: Sicilian pizza

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 13 17:09:25 PST 2005

>How were the octopi prepared? Sliced? Fried? Baked with the pizza? What
>kind
>of texture did they lend to the dish?
>I've only ever had octopus as a sort of deep-fried dish at a wonderful
>little sushi place in Sacramento.....
>--Maire

Little baby ones, just the tentacles in little bunches.
It truly grossed out my buddies. But they weren't bad.
I'm not a major fan of octopus though. I hate the texture
and have seen too many instances of their intelligence
to want to eat them.

They were baked on top of the pizza, I'm not sure if they had
been previously steamed or what. You didn't really eat them
on the pizza but more like plucked them off and popped the
little tentacle bundle in your mouth then took a bite of pizza.
Btw, the pizza over there were served as whole little pies you
ate with a knife and fork. Not carved into slices as we are
used to. To eat it with your hands was considered quite
rude. Rather like a foreigner here eating a steak with his
hands.

Gunthar