[Sca-cooks] buttered bread crumb topping

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 12 19:17:29 PST 2005

Stefan wrote:
>Talking about her variation on macaroni and cheese, Gwen Cat mentioned:
>  > Buttered bread crumb topping optional.
>
>I have a newbie cook question. What is the best way to create this?
>
>1) Mix the bread crumbs and the butter in a bowl and then try to
>transfer that to the Mac and cheese?
>2) Put some slices of butter down on the top of the macaroni and then
>sprinkle everything with the bread crumbs?
>3) Do either of the above, but melt the butter first?
>4) Something else?

What i'd do, although i'm not Gwen Cat, is:
1. Take the *fine* bread crumbs and put the crumbs in a bowl.
If you have stuffing-sized crumbs... first make sure they are nice
and dry - so if they aren't (or you're using not very old bread), 10
or 15 min. in a 350 F. oven should do the trick. Then put them in a
bag and roll over them with a rolling pin - or take them for a brief
whirl in a blender or food processor.

2. Just barely melt some butter on a low-medium fire. Since it'll be
baking, the butter doesn't need to be browned. Keep your eye on it.
You just want it to melt, not turn color.

3. Pour the barely melted butter over the crumbs. Toss the crumbs to
coat thoroughly.

4. Sprinkle buttered crumbs over mac'n'cheez.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita