[Sca-cooks] Snow and Storms

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Dec 15 04:54:48 PST 2005

On Dec 15, 2005, at 5:59 AM, Betsy Marshall wrote:

> Had to Google this one, but...
> Gravy cheese fries?!?!
> Must be a regional thing
> Pyro (Mystified at best)

I confess I'm with you on this one: not just gravy cheese fries, but
gravy COTTAGE cheese fries. My initial reaction is that food is
supposed to look like that _after_ leaving the stomach of a massively
drunk college student, not before entering it...

But then one can't be too judgmental when there are things out there
like Nick Tahou Hots' Garbage Plate in Rochester, or even the quasi-
Ukrainian borscht I made the other day...

An old adage says something to the effect of, it was a brave man that
tried the first oyster or lobster, but I can't help thinking some of
this stuff is conceived by people going for shock value first (or
possibly chemically-induced "munchies") and culinary virtue second --
in its day, tournedos Rossini was one such, reportedly served under a
napkin because it was deemed so repulsive to look at. Sometimes (as
in the case of the aforementioned tournedos) such dishes turn out to
be great.

Adamantius