[Sca-cooks] Tableage

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Thu Dec 15 11:09:51 PST 2005

VOE (voice of experience) speaking

At our local SCA events we tend to use 8 people per
standard 8 foot table, using both sides that equates
to 2 linear feet per person.
Standard banquet tables are generally 30 inches by
6 or (usually) 8 feet.

I sat one guest per 2 linear feet for Thanksgiving,
this year...
12 people...  one table made from a 4x8 sheeet of
plywood. I Sat four on each side, and two on each end.
We were not all that tight and certainly comfortable.

Some restaurants will seat you in 20 or 18 linear inches
in their booths and banquet style tables.

If you choose to seat the ends, you will want to make
two tables 3' X 8' would give you plenty of mid table
space for serving dishes, and you can sit the ends
very comfortably, and you only need two tables for 20
people.

If you are seating people in large bulky costumes,
or they are "very large persons"  then seat them
one on each end and three per side, and make three tables
for a total of 8 places per table and 24 places in toto.

But personally, I dont think you need to worry about
that.

Two 3 foot by 8 foot tables should suit your needs.

Capt Elias
Dragonship Haven, East
(Stratford, CT, USA)
Apprentice in the House of Silverwing

-Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas
- Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
There are SO damn many more things I want to try in
the SCA than I can possibly have time for.
It's killing me!!!

Upon the hempen tackle ship-boys climbing;
Hear the shrill whistle which doth order give
To sounds confused; behold the threaden sails,
Borne with the invisible and creeping wind,
Draw the huge bottoms through the furrow'd sea,
Breasting the lofty surge: O, do but think
You stand upon the ravage and behold
A city on the inconstant billows dancing;
For so appears this fleet majestical,
Holding due course to Harfleur.
  - Shakespeare - Henry V, Act III, Prologue