[Sca-cooks] OOP: Cheez Sammichez

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Dec 17 10:43:41 PST 2005

Place two slices of sandwich bread in toaster on lowest setting (I
like the texture of the finished product that way).

While bread toasts, get out cheese (anything from Chemerican to
pepper jack to dilled havarti to dux du montaigne, tallegio,
whatever, as long as it'll melt), heat butter in iron skillet over
low-medium heat.

Assemble sandwich (sammich/samwidge): I like a few drops of Tapatio
hot sauce on mine, but the other day I tried some homemade Scotch-
bonnet sauce and it was just a little too intense. Onions, tomatoes,
bacon, ham are all good, but I generally reserve mustard and/or mayo
for "melts", be they burgers, tuna or chicken salad, or the ultimate,
a grilled Cuban sandwich.

Place sandwich in hot pan, moving it around a little with a spatula
until half the visible or pooled butter is absorbed, toast for 3-5
minutes on one side until cheese starts to soften and bread is golden
brown on the bottom, flip over and repeat. End product is crispy
(never, as sometimes happens with untoasted bread, browned but soft),
cheese is melted, it's just slightly greasy, but if you're so
concerned about fat you wouldn't be eating grilled cheese anyway!

Since I'm the only one in the house who can actually eat cream of
tomato soup, we tend to pursue other options...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04