[Sca-cooks] OOP: Cheez Sammichez

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 19 06:34:58 PST 2005

Johnna Holloway wrote:

> I have a panini grill now so I tend to use that.
> but,
> I grew up eating grilled cheese made by my Dad.
> Butter both sides of two slices of bread. Preheat a skillet
> to medium. Place cheese between the bread slices and put
> the sandwich in the skillet. Press down. Then turn over and
> grill on the other side. Press down again. When browned nicely, it's
> done.
> This was the Midwest long before artisanal cheeses. We used
> Velveeta.
>
> Johnnae

We do it a similar way.  Growing up, we had a waffle iron whose plates
reversed to be a sandwich grill.  But once I left home, I didn't have
such a thing, so I did it in the frying pan as you did, but used sharp
cheddar instead.  The only read "add-on" is tomatoes...and only in the
summer.  We also make cheese toast in the oven...sort of an open-faced
cheese sandwich.  Again only cheddar cheese, so sharp that, according to
my Georgia grandpa, "...it bites back".

Kiri