[Sca-cooks] OOP: Cheez Sammichez

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Fri Dec 16 20:52:30 PST 2005

> During the consumption of the first loaf of bread, i began wondering:
> A. How do *you* make a grilled cheese sandwich?
>
> B. What do you put on your grilled cheese sandwich, both cheese and
> add-ons?
>
> --
> Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
> the persona formerly known as Anahita

Frying pan, fairly hot. Toss butter in, let it foam. As the foam goes down,
swish the butter around in the pan and put a slice of bread in. Layer it with
the cheese, keeping the cheese between 1/4" and 1/2" from the edge. Butter
the second piece of bread (quickly, but not hurriedly), lay it dry side down
on the cheese, press it a dab with the metal spatula or egg turner, and flip
the sandwich over. If you've timed it right, the first side is "froasted" -
fried and toasted golden brown. The second side should be done when the
cheese has almost melted to the edge of the sandwich.

The trick here is the heat of the frying pan. You need it hot enough that
it "froasts" the bread before it melts the cheese. If the temp is too low,
you'll melt the cheese before you fry the bread, and you'll have either under
fried bread, or melted cheese all over your pan, or both- helluva mess ;-)
Medium heat usually does it on this $#@%ing electric stove R&M have, but
different stoves take experience to use.

As far as anything like mustard in with the cheese, I've never done that-
just let the bread and cheese speak for themselves. A good whole grain bread
and pepperjack cheese speak quite loudly enough ;-)

Phlip