[Sca-cooks] fried egg on spam

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Dec 18 06:23:08 PST 2005

See, folks, one of Stefan's most amazing super-powers is that you
_really_ can almost never tell when he's messing with you. Here's a
perfect example. I know he's mentioned liking Spam in the past
("...not that there's anything wrong with that!"), but imagine the
alignment of the planets required for a SCAdian to simultaneously
like Spam _and_ not get the Python Spam sketch reference to "Lobster
Thermidor aux Crevettes with a Mornay Sauce served in the Provencale
manner with shallots and aubergines, garnished with truffle pate,
brandy, and a fried egg on top and Spam..." I always thought  it was
a coddled egg on top and Spam, but I'm assured that it's fried.

I guess I got carried away in the poutine discussion while thinking
of odd food combinations stacked on top of each other, and the vision
of the fried egg on top and Spam entered my mind. In actual fact, or
at least as far as I know, none of the local diners around here sell
Spam in any form, but in all other respects often represent foodways
pretty similar to those of the UK. So yes, you can get baked beans on
thickly-sliced toast at seven o'clock in the morning (eeee-ewwww!) or
eggs "any style", but with the default being fried sunny-side up,
with home fries or French fries, bacon either streaky or back/loin,
sausage, either American-style-breakfast variety or bangers, plus a
chunk each of black and white pudding, fried or broiled tomato
slices, and toast. This last combination is known colloquially as an
"Irish breakfast", and if you serve it with a single egg instead of
two, and throw in a piece of liver and a lamb chop, it becomes a
"mixed grill" or, more properly, a "fry" or a "fry-up". As I recall,
we now have a generation of children who know what a "fry-up" is,
thanks to Harry Potter's inflatable Aunt Marge.

But what you can't get in these places, unless I'm greatly mistaken,
is Spam and eggs... I wonder if this (i.e. the apparent failure of
the Irish race to fully embrace Spam) has anything to do with
Ireland's official neutrality in WWII...

On Dec 18, 2005, at 2:48 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Adamantius said, talking about some of his local eateries:
> >"...and a fried egg on top and Spam!"
>
> Hmmm. That sounds pretty good. At least if both are fried.
>
> Perhaps I'll try that tomorrow (Sunday) morning. I wonder if it is
> better frying them separately and combining them on the plate, or
> frying one side of several spam slices, flip them over, break one
> or more eggs on top, and then continue frying until done?

It is a lonely road, the path of the Spamophile. You must choose...
wisely.

> Fried spam also makes good sandwiches, if the bread is also toasted
> and with some mustard.

Rumor has it that it makes a good addition to fried rice. I'll
believe it when I see it. I think it's just too flippin' salty.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04