[Sca-cooks] OOP: Cheez Sammichez

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Dec 18 10:46:43 PST 2005

On Dec 18, 2005, at 12:08 PM, Nick Sasso wrote:

> The variants of adding the butter to the skillet or apply to the
> bread are a
> surprising difference to me for some reason.  So many Americans
> here do use
> butter-fried bread, just vary how they apply the fat to the dish.

I put butter on bread pretty infrequently, so it makes sense for me
not to keep a dedicated, soft butter supply. Usually I'm taking it
out of the fridge or even the freezer, so adding it to the pan works
for me.

And speaking of Irish foodways (well, I was, earlier), fried bread
instead of toast is a common breakfast and teatime item, and among
the poorer classes, was apparently an evening meal staple (as in, the
main course) for "supper", as recently as the 1940's and 50's, if one
believes Frank McCourt.

I like a good piece of fried bread once in a while (olive oil's just
as good as butter, if not better), with eggs and such...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04