[Sca-cooks] OOP: Cheez Sammichez

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 18 09:08:18 PST 2005

In my household, this preparation was called "Cheese Toast".  A fine meal in
it's own right, but different from "Grilled Cheese" proper.  The grilled
cheese was the american cheese on white bread affair fried in the skillet
with butter.  Both were served aside hot Campbell's tomato soup . . .
"Campbell Up" as I recall.

It seems sort of a familial or possibly regional thing whether to add
tomato, et al. or not.  Maybe even something from one of those ubiquitous
magazines offering "gourmet" enhancements to mundane foods . . . maybe a
Velveeta add? Much of fad Americana did actually come from corporate test
kitchens initially.  As my family was working a pretty smallish budget, we
had grilled cheese as a budget meal using cheapest american singles and
margarine, probably.

The variants of adding the butter to the skillet or apply to the bread are a
surprising difference to me for some reason.  So many Americans here do use
butter-fried bread, just vary how they apply the fat to the dish.

niccolo difrancesco