[Sca-cooks] Semi-OT: Irish Leek & Oatmeal Soup? and other soup notes

Mike C. Baker / Kihe Blackeagle kihebard at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 19 12:31:24 PST 2005

Adamantius scripsit:

> Irish leek and  oatmeal soup with milk, cream, and some of the chicken
> stock

OK, I think I can fake this one -- but does the good Master have any
particular wisdom in the preparation thereof he might care to impart?
Leek-to-oatmeal ratio?  I'll guess one cup oatmeal to one average-size
thinly sliced leek (trim roots, trim all but the palest green portion of
leaves), based on past experience with a leek & beef soup I offered as an
exhibitor at Steppes Artisan eight or ten years back.

Related soup note:  I had trimmings left from boneless pork ribs "that
needed a good home", which turned into a barley soup.
AMRA'S WHAT-YOU-HAVE BARLEY SOUP
Approx. 6-8 oz. pork scraps (including up to 50% fat), or other meat as
available
1/2 large or one whole medium onion, sliced / chopped thinly
three cloves garlic (OPT: minced fine), or one large clove "elephant" garlic
sliced thinly
Reserved leaves and additional chopped celery, maybe 1/4 cup
2/3 cup pearled barley (Quaker "Medium" -- which for whatever strange reason
I am having difficulty re-stocking...)
Water -- maybe four times as much as called for on the barley box
Perhaps 1/8 tsp fresh-ground pepper (I grab the grinder and give it a few
twirls over the pot...)
Generous dash or two of ground ginger
Conservative dash or two of powdered / ground thyme
(Opt.) White wine to taste
Other spicing to your own taste

Lightly oil bottom of large saucepan / small soup pot. Sautee pork until
just short of browned, add onions & garlic, continue sauté.  When onions
semi-transparent, add celery, sauté briefly.  Add barley, water to within
1/2 inch of pot rim, spices; bring to boil while stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat, cover, simmer until barley is done, stirring occasionally.  Add
wine if desired, additional water as needed / desired.  Continue to simmer
and stir occasionally at least another hour -- the barley ideally will begin
to look like small, fat kernels of oatmeal, kinda "fuzzy" on each end (some
people might consider this state "over-cooked", but I find it preferable to
what I usually get in modern canned soups).
(If you or your audience's garlic tolerance is low, remove cloves of garlic
before serving -- my personal preference is to mash them up into their
"paste" and mix into body of soup AFTER sautéing / boiling whole, esp. with
good, fresh, not-yet-dried garlic.)

Produced about 50 ounces of good soup from what I put in this round.  Next
batch will use meat removed from a roasted turkey leg; may experiment with
oatmeal if I don't turn up more barley soon.

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR MCBaker216 at cs.com
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen