[Sca-cooks] Semi-OT: Irish Leek & Oatmeal Soup? and other soup notes

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Dec 19 22:13:53 PST 2005

On Dec 19, 2005, at 3:31 PM, Mike C. Baker / Kihe Blackeagle wrote:

> Adamantius scripsit:
>
>> Irish leek and  oatmeal soup with milk, cream, and some of the
>> chicken stock
>
> OK, I think I can fake this one -- but does the good Master have
> any particular wisdom in the preparation thereof he might care to
> impart? Leek-to-oatmeal ratio?  I'll guess one cup oatmeal to one
> average-size thinly sliced leek (trim roots, trim all but the
> palest green portion of leaves), based on past experience with a
> leek & beef soup I offered as an exhibitor at Steppes Artisan eight
> or ten years back.

Try here...

http://www.clannada.org/recipes_bf.php

This recipe appears to have been stolen from Malachi McCormick. Once
upon a time, in an early edition of one his Irish cookbooks, the
recipe would have called for chicken stock instead of vegetable
stock, and steel-cut oats. You may need more leeks than you
originally mentioned; they provide such a lovely richness.

Adamantius (amused to find that if you Google Brotchan Foltchep, a
fairly significant portion of the hits appear to be quotes from me)

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04