[Sca-cooks] Semi-OT: Irish Leek & Oatmeal Soup? and other soup notes

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 20 18:42:31 PST 2005

I don't remember why you were cooking them separately, but here's the recipe:

  Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 16:10:03 -0400
  From: Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com>
  Subject: SC - Reposting Brotchan Foltchep Recipe...

  Mark Harris wrote:
  > For us uneducated masses, what is Brotchan Foltchep? I think you've
  > mentioned it before. A stew? Soup? Recipe please.

  Here it is...I think we've seen this one before. Loosely adapted from
  Malachai McCormick's "Irish Country Cooking" (the best Irish cookbook
  I've seen), but apparently of much greater antiquity, having been
  mentioned and described in the writings of St. Colmcille, c. 597 C.E.
  There's no telling how the original differs from this, though. I am
  assuming that Colmcille's dish was a bit more austere.

  Brotchan Foltchep, a.k.a. Brotchan Roy

  Serves 6

  3 or 4 medium-size leeks, about 1 1/2 pounds
  1/4 to 1/2 stick butter (1 - 2 ounces)
  2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
  2 cups milk
  1/2 cup heavy cream
  3/4 cup raw, steel-cut porridge oats, like McAnns
  Parsley (flat Italian, chopped) for garnishing
  salt and white pepper to taste

  Wash the leeks well. They are usually muddy and sandy. Remove any
  visible dirt or grit. Trim off the root ends and discard. Starting at
  the white, root ends, slice the leeks thinly. Place in a deep bowl of
  cold water, and rub the leeks between your hands, gently, to separate
  the rings and encourage the last of the grit to sink to the bottom. Lift
  the leek slices off the surface till the bowl has nothing left in it but
  water and mud. Drain the leeks in a strainer and set aside.

  In a large, deep saucepan, bring the stock and milk to a simmer. Stir in
  the oats, bring almost to a boil, and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until
  the oats are done.

  While the oats are simmering, melt the butter in a deep saute pan, over
  low heat. Sweat the leeks for five or ten minutes, until they begin to
  soften. When the oats are about half done, add the leeks and their
  butter to the pan of soup. The leeks and the oatmeal should be done at
  the same time.

  Take the pot off the heat, stir in the cream, and season with salt and
  white pepper to taste. Garnish with the parsley.

  Adamantius

Lady Anne du Bosc
known as Mordonna the Cook
Shire of Thorngill, Meridies