[Sca-cooks] Semi-OT: Irish Leek & Oatmeal Soup? and other soup notes

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Dec 20 13:13:17 PST 2005

On Dec 20, 2005, at 10:35 AM, Tressa wrote:

> And would another grain such as barley work as well?
>
> Tressa the Novice Cook

Sure. Purists might claim this diminishes the "Irishness" of the
soup, but in theory, no problem. I've never tried it. You'd also have
to cook it, longer, like maybe 45 minutes or more.

By the way, some versions of the recipe I wrote out, and which is in
the Florilegium and some other Web sites (lookit me, Ma, I'm
famous!), have me instructing you to cook the leeks separately and
add them to the soup. The other day, I didn't do that -- I cooked the
leeks in butter in the bottom of the soup pot until wilted, then
added the milk and stock, brought it to a boil, added the oats, and
simmered. I'm not sure why I was cooking the leeks separately, unless
it had something to do with speed and making several gallons of the
stuff at one time...

Maybe some avid reader of old posts to SCA-Cooks in its infancy can
tell me why I suggested this... there must have been _some_ reason. ;-)

A.