[Sca-cooks] OT OOP Vanilla Extract

Carol Smith Eskesmith at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 21 15:51:23 PST 2005

Permitted additives, per CFR 21.169.175, are, and I quote:

(1) Glycerin.
(2)  Propylene glycol.
(3) Sugar (including invert sugar).
(4) Dextrose.
(5) Corn sirup. [sic]

These are the ONLY additions permitted for Pure Vanilla Extract.  Anything else should be called "flavor", "with color", or have some other modifier to indicate that it is not strictly pure vanilla extract.  There's a whole story on the importance of bean moisture, too, that goes along with this ruling.

Regards,
Brekke