[Sca-cooks] OT OOP Vanilla Extract

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Dec 20 19:43:53 PST 2005

Vanilla extract is produced by alcohol extraction from aged vanilla beans.
The FDA requires that pure vanilla extract be 35 per cent alcohol (with
13.35 ounces of vanilla beans per gallon of 35 per cent solution).  The FDA
also permits sugar, corn syrup, caramel, colors and stabilizers to be added
to the extract.  When these additional items appear on the label, the
extract is most likely unaged.  Fresh vanilla extract tends to be harsh
tasting and adding 20 per cent or more sugar smooths the taste while
caramels, colors and stabilizers give the product an aged appearance.  Top
quality vanilla extract has only vanilla, alcohol and water for ingredients
and its smooth flavor and dark rich color are the result of aging the
product between one and two years.  Aging costs money.

Bear