[Sca-cooks] cordials

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Dec 21 19:08:02 PST 2005

niccolo difrancesco explained to me:

I have
a firm belief that they were not recreational "shooters" for parties
as weuse them in modern culture.
<<<

Agreed. I thought this point had been made in the Florilegium files,
but perhaps it was just an expressed opinion.

There are a few herbalists in Georgia who are doing lots of research
on the
medicinal values of various concoctions and herbs . . . Christianna
and her
apprentice, Tara, are notables around these parts.  Fruit cordials
are fun
and tasty, but I have not yet found anyone who can tell me the use of a
chocolate and fig liqueur (for example) in any time or place we study.
<<<

Yes, I agree on the chocolate. I thought someone had made a good
point about the cost of the alcohol being so much more expensive than
the fruit that spices were more likely to be used. Then I thought
someone had come up with some evidence of fruit used in cordials. The
several articles that I mentioned, were A&S entries, so I thought
they would have some evidence of the those particular fruits being
used, but now I can't remember for sure.

Not all people doing infused
spirits in the SCA are in the same direction down this path, so I
seek them
where I can find them.  Not too much recent in the Florilegium on
this part.
<<<

Yes, my apologies. You did mention having looked at the stuff in the
Florilegium already, but in my quick scan of your message I failed to
see that comment originally.

Perhaps some other folks here found those files mentioned to be of
interest.

Yes, I agree on the age of the stuff in the Florilegium on this
subject. There are many subjects that I no longer see interesting
info since the general lists like the Rialto (rec.org.sca) have died,
and I can't keep up with the mail lists I am on, much less read more.
I've tried to get folks to send me info from other lists out there,
but that hasn't worked well. I thought there was at least one SCA-
oriented distilling/cordials list out there as well as some brewing
ones. Perhaps that might be worth pursuing.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com