[Sca-cooks] freezing butter

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 22 09:00:36 PST 2005

You should know that thawing should be a gradual process rather than
something speeded up.  The emulsion of water and butterfat crystallizes
rather solidly in the freezer, and needs to relax in order to be useful in
cooking.  If just going on toast, then nuke it up and brush it on.  You can
see some more detailed explanation of fat crystals in "Cookwise" the book by
O'Corriher, a food scientist.  It really is intriguing how the structure of
the fats effects the baked goods.

Margarine has a higher water content usually, and will behave slightly
differently.  Still, at 80%+ fat, freezing and thawing should not do much to
your sticks or tubs.  I'm thawing out some rendered bacon fat this afternoon
for some frying . . . been there about 4 months, and shouldn't be the worse
for the wear.  Too much longer and I'd get worried, being an animal fat.

niccolo difrancesco