[Sca-cooks] And now for something totally different

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Thu Dec 22 09:48:57 PST 2005

> I'm thinking of bringing a fried turkey to
> 12th Night. Yeah, I know, but at least I'm bringing
> something that looks like a period food.
> Other people are bringing stuff from Chili's.
> I'll also be bringing a couple of period dishes
> as well.
>
> ANYway, I have never deep fried a turkey
> before and would like some advice/wisdom on
> how to do it without burning the turkey,
> poisoning my diners or burning down the
> house.
>
> I'll either brine it or inject it with a butter/sage/garlic
> mixture.
>
> So, any help here?
>
> Gunthar

1. Don't do it inside.

2. Don't over fill the fryer with oil. To make sure you don't, you can thaw
the turkey in the intended frying pot in cold water, and then when you fill
the pot with oil, don't put the oil any higher than the water line was
without the turkey in it.

3. Read any instructions you have available.

4. Make sure you have the proper tools available for the job, including
something to handle the hot turkey with, and an appropriate fire extinguisher.

Phlip