[Sca-cooks] Vanilla Extract --Thank you!

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Fri Dec 23 15:15:07 PST 2005

In a message dated 12/23/2005 4:19:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
phelpsd at gate.net writes:

How many  of you have tried making your own extract? I remember two replies,
one said  age it for a year or two, the other said ten days. Does that mean
that you  would get an acceptable product in the shorter amount of time, but if
you  could put it up to age, you'd get a really great one?
As a rule, and understand I've made it but I'm not an expert by any means,
the longer it sits the better it gets, but I've turned out an acceptable
product  in less then six months.

Do you  have to take the vanilla bean(s) out, or can you leave them in the
alcohol  solution? Would it get bitter?
I leave the beans in and add a bit more alcohol after use, and shake  well.
I've never had it get detectably bitter.

Would  rum, vodka, brandy, or Everclear (190 proof, 95% alcohol)cut to the
proper  strength work best? I can probably find a source of lab-grade distilled
water  if I want to try the last.
Brandy works best IMO, but I tend to use brandy for most extracts, unless
it's like a haroka, then I use vodka for the cost.

Should I  use a brown glass container, or a clear one kept in a dark
place?(Easier to  judge the concentration of the extract with a clear container, I
should think)
I always used a clear bottle and kept it in a dark corner, you can do  that
or use the dark bottle, the idea is light degrades it.

Ha.  Every question answered leads to more.
Always. Ain't it grand?

Corwyn

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will  annoy
enough people to make it worth the effort.
--Herm  Albright