[Sca-cooks] used oil

Carole Smith renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 23 15:46:18 PST 2005

I suppose in this time most of us don't cook with oils, much less fry, often.  But growing up in the deep South with parents who lived through the 1930's depression, the idea of throwing away that much oil after one use was unthinkable.

  Mom would let the oil cool until after dinner, by which time the flour, etc. settled to the bottom of the cooking pot.  She'd pour the clear oil into a glass container (such as a mayonnaise jar) and seal it.  Next time she wanted to fry or saute, the jar of oil would appear on the counter.  We had no air conditioning, and the oil never went rancid in the cupboard.  She did keep two jars - one for fish and one for everything else.

  The sludgy bits left in the cooking pot were always a good beginning of gravy if we wanted it.

  I keep a jar of used oil in the cupboard, although I fry far less often than Mom.  I don't tell people about it because their reaction is always the same  Eeeewwww!

  Cordelia Toser

Michael Gunter <countgunthar at hotmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

Speaking of cleanup, what's the best way to dispose of the
used oil?

Gunthar