[Sca-cooks] Re:keeping butter

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Fri Dec 23 20:28:08 PST 2005

I had said:

> As far as eating, some of them will eat anything humans do, others
> won't. Margali's Jezebel will beg for people food, but then refuse
> to eat it. General Lee, the feral kitten that either adopted, or got
> adopted by, Cogburn the Incorrigible, the Rooster with an Attitude
> during Pennsic will eat anything- he just swiped a crust of home
> made bread- not a drop of butter on it.

Update on General Lee, aka the Little Turd. I knew he liked green beans, but
I figured that was because the first time he tried them, I gave him one that
was doused in meat juice from the steak I was eating with it. Well, I thought
I'd have myself a batch of turnip greens, so I made them up- simple
commercially frozen turnip greens, nuked and with a bit of butter (greens
need fat to taste right, whether butter or pork fat) and a fair amount of
balsamic vinegar. Little mooch, was, as usual, hanging out for a hand out, so
I gave him some. He Liked them! Not only did he eat the bit a gave him, but
he polished the plate when I was finished. Would have made sense, if I had
more than a dab of butter, but the strongest flavor in the greens was the
vinegar.

Cats, particularly General Lee, just ain't right... But then, what do you
expect of a kitten who gets adopted by (or adopts) a rooster...

Phlip