[Sca-cooks] oop -pumpkin pie

Alexa mysticgypsy1008 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 26 12:47:01 PST 2005

Greetings and happy holidays everyone,

After reading some of the misphaps and learning
experiences of others on the list I decided I would
share mine.

Made a nice holiday dinner last night, except for one
"oops".
the pumpkin pie.  I was using the standard canned
pumpkin with the recipe on the back, just doubling it
for more pies.  I guess I left my brain somewhere
because after baking, they didnt look right and when
cutting they still didnt look right and appeared like
they had not set very well or I didnt bake long
enough, so I thought.  it wasnt until tasting that I
realized I forgot the sugar, completely.  Normally I
taste the mixture, yes-raw, before pouring into the
shells to make sure I have the spices right, as I
usually don't measure these, just toss in ( I am sure
I am not the only one out there).  I didnt do that
this time, or I would have found that 'oops' a lot
sooner.
I was able to fix it though.  Today, I scooped out the
pumkin mixture into a   bowl, added the required
amount of sugar and a little cream.  Since it already
had baked once, I pre-baked fresh pie crusts about 1/2
done, poured in the pumpkin mixture, and baked for
about 20 min.  I have to say, unless someone knew
about the mess up it would go undetected.

I also tried 2 new recipes.  One was the cranberry
glazed turkey breast from Emeril's- which is one that
uses a brine for the turkey.  And also a recipe from
Southern Living 2005 Christmas- Toasted Coconut Eggnog
Cheesecake.  Both came out great.

Alexa