[Sca-cooks] Frumenty and plum pudding

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Dec 26 15:08:41 PST 2005

My opinion is that frumenty didn't morph into plum pudding.  Frumenty
derives from the Latin "frumentum" or grain.  Frumenty is a a dish of whole
boiled wheat grains.  Pudding derives from the French "boudin" or sausage.
Puddings as mixtures that are stuffed into sausage casings and then boiled.
Puddings cover a far wider range of ingredients than frumenty, as one can
tell by looking at Markham.  The pudding cloth is a replacement for the
sausage casings.

Bear