[Sca-cooks] Re: OT: Easy low-sodium recipes needed

Kathleen Madsen kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 30 12:09:13 PST 2005

I've had to cook low-sodium for the last 16 or so
years, and so make most foods from scratch.  Boxed or
pre-prepared foods are usually very high in sodium as
are meals in restaurants.  An easy substitute for salt
is lemon as it has that same kind of a tangy/salty
type of flavor on the tonge.  If she has been
diagnosed with CHF she needs to steer well clear of
anything that say's "salt substitute" on the lable
because they are typically very high in potassium.
Potassium build-up will cause the heart to stop
beating and will give you no advanced warning that
there's a problem.

One of my all-time favorite cookbooks is the Low-Salt
Cookbook put out by the American Heart Association.
Good recipes, most of them are very easy to make, and
they actually taste good.  My friends and family don't
seem to miss the salt when they eat over, and don't
tend to reach for the salt shaker we put on the table
for their benefit.

Hope this has helped.
Eibhlin

Message: 7