[Sca-cooks] Bread baking for 12th Night

Robin rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 30 19:11:02 PST 2005

RUTH EARLAND wrote:

> Background:
> Brighid ni Chiaran (probably spelled wrong, but if you pronounce it,
> you'll know who I mean) makes really good bread. Good bread as in
> "I've died and gone to gluten heaven" bread.

::blushmumblemumblethanks::  I take this as a particular compliment, as
it comes from one of the best cooks in the Southern Region.

> Well, I'm planning on cooking 12th Night this year

I'm sure the autocrat will be relieved to know that, especially as the
feast is sold out.  :-)

> , and my feast is pushing the budget window, so I was looking to save
> some money without compromising any of the things I feel are important
> to a feast. Well, making bread was a good way to save a hundred bucks
> or so, so make bread I've done. I'm pleased to report it took a lot
> less time than I thought it might. Two days, 2 triple batches a day
> and I'm done.

Brava!

> I used Brighid's recipe.

"My" recipe, in case anyone wants to know, is a straightforward theft
from Amy Scherber of Amy's Bread.  It can be found here:
http://www.amysbread.com/news_cucinaaug01.htm#rustic

I have converted some of the volume measurements to weight for my own
convenience, and  I bake at 450F throughout, instead of starting at
475F.  I use coarse semolina on the baking sheet instead of cornmeal.
At the 10-minute mark, I remove the baking sheet, so the loaves can
finish baking directly on the stone.  (I have an electric oven with a
large pizza stone in it.)

> It isn't quite like Brighid's. The flavor is a bit less assertive. I
> suspect I didn't let the starter mature enough.

I usually mix it up before bedtime for baking in the late morning, or in
the mornng for evening baking on a workday.  In cooler weather, I leave
the starter on the counter between batches; in summer, I refrigerate it.

> Yet, all things considered, I'm pleased. I think I got a superior
> product than I could have bought in a store or a bakery, and I saved
> about a hundred dollars, even figuring in freezer space.

I started out baking for feasts as a cost-saver, but I also like the
quality of homemade.  It's a win-win situation.

> So, Brighid, I baked bread and it didn't kill me. It still isn't as
> good as yours. But it's better than what I would have had to buy if I
> hadn't tried your recipe.

I'm glad that you ventured out of your comfort zone, and I look forward
to trying the result.  I'm sure it will be great, like everything else
you make.

--

Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom