[Sca-cooks] Bread baking for 12th Night

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 31 11:07:08 PST 2005

--- Robin <rcmann4 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Does someone have a surefire recipe for a whole-grain bread?  I need
> some variety for a dayboard.  It doesn't have to be a period recipe, but
> should not contain New World grains.  Also, nothing with seeds, fruits,
> or other foreign objects.  Thanks!
>
> --
> Brighid ni Chiarain
> Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
> Robin Carroll-Mann *** rcmann4 at earthlink.net

Here is a Norwegian Whole Wheat bread that people seem to
scarf up with gusto.

Huette

Norwegian Whole Grain Bread

2 cups boiling water
2/3 cup whole wheat kernels
2 packages active dry yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup warm water [for proofing yeast]
1/2 cup rye flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
8 cups all purpose flour, preferably unbleached
1 tbsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups water

Pour boiling water over whole wheat kernels and let stand for
an hour or two to soften.  Proof the yeast and sugar together
with the warm water.  Combine the rye, whole wheat, and white
flours with the salt and blend well.  Add the yeast mixture,
the drained whole wheat kernels, and the milk and water.  Knead
well for 15 min.  Forme the dough into a ball, and place in a
well-buttered bowl, turning the dough to coat all sides.  Cover
and let rise in a warm, draft free place for about 1 hour.
When it has risen to almost double, punch down and remove to a
floured board.  Knead about 10 min. and cut into two equal
pieces.  Knead each piece lightly and form into a loaf [either
a 10x5x3 loaf pan or a free form round loaf].  Cover and allow
the dough to rise again until almost doubled in bulk, then
brush with melted butter and slash each loaf two or three times
with a very sharp knife.  Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven
for one hour or until the loaves sound hollow when tapped.
Remove to a rack to cool, before cutting.