[Sca-cooks] Bread for 'trenchers'

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Sat Dec 31 11:08:45 PST 2005

> <<Anyway... I don't want to spend a
> great deal of money on the  bread-making since it's basically
> throw-away
> plating, yet I do want to  encourage the diners to dig in to
> the top layer
> and enjoy the 'sops'.  >>

Since I usually bring a trencher or 2 to feast (no dishwashing for me), and
occasionally serve food groups and lunches, I have 2 ways I do this (with a
little cheating).

For a full blown lunch I will usually go to the baker/grocer and buy day old
pumpernickel bread, or some such, and make 2 trenchers from each, although
this depends on the size of your bread.

For a smaller food group I will throw ingredients into the bread maker at
the dough setting and shape them square-ish myself and bake. Not too labour
intensive if you're only doing a few dozen or so. I usually get 3-4
trenchers per batch.

ttfn
Micaylah