[Sca-cooks] Bread for 'trenchers'

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Dec 31 12:28:22 PST 2005

If you're looking for "poorman's authenticity" toss the idea of using bread
trenchers.  They were conspicuous consumption in the Middle Ages and
regularly used only in the Great Households.  In lesser noble households,
they show up only for special occasions (see Menagier).  A tavern would have
used wood or possibly pottery trenchers.  Bread trenchers were never meant
to be a cheap replacement for table settings.  They were a demonstration of
wealth, power, piety and charity.

The bread trencher was cut from a small loaf lesser quality bread usually
three or four days old and six to eight inches in diameter.  Early trencher
loaves may have been larger, but it is difficult to tell from the
illustrations.  Early trenchers were simply split loaves.  Carved trenchers
and the show associated with carving and squaring them appears in the 13th
Century.  The earliest recorded use is in the early 12th Century, but they
may have been in use as early as the 10th Century.  The use of trenchers
began declining in the 13th Century, but vestiges of their use appear into
the 17th Century.  The primary region of their use is Northern Europe from
England to Poland.  Their use in Scandinavia, far Eastern Europe and around
the Mediterranean seems very limited or non-existent.  The primary region of
use matches closely to that part of Europe which operated under the manorial
system.

Trenchers were only used as plates for relatively dry solid food.  They were
not meant to hold much liquid.

Trenchers were not eaten at the dinner.  The Almoner, who was a chaplain of
the household, had the duty of overseeing the removal of used trenchers and
uneaten food to be dispensed to the poor as alms.

If you still want to use trenchers and you want to cheat a little, use a
basic bread recipe of flour, water, yeast and salt and make the flour a
50/50 mix of wheat and rye.  Use a 3 pound coffee can as a baking tin with
enough dough to make a 2 lb loaf.  Cut the resulting bread into inch thick
slabs and use those for trenchers.  It won't handle thin liquids and
anything other than a really heavy suace will probably go through, but it
will give you a "trencher."

I've considered making trenchers for a feast a couple of times, but the
labor and the cost were too much.

Bear