[Sca-cooks] Bread for 'trenchers'

Terri Morgan online2much at cox.net
Sat Dec 31 12:56:14 PST 2005

I can see that my 'shorthand' has torpedoed my question. I know what a
trencher is and how (and where) it was used... what we have here, my
friends, is Tradition (capital 'T'). When our group first started hosting
this tavern event all we knew about dining was a few things gathered from
very sparse sources. So we took round bread loaves of dark bread, cut them
in half and figured that was a 'trencher' like we'd read about. That was
then. This is now, but the tradition is well loved and I don't want to rain
on anyone's parade. So even though I know it's as period as 'bread bowls',
my diners are going to get food (from period recipes*) served on what
they've grown to expect from this event. The last cook, who was not our
'traditional team' cook did not serve on bread and there were sighs of
regret (no one would go beyond a sigh and a comment - she's a kicking cook
and the food was great. But it was rather like Christmas without stockings).
   So what I'm trying to come up with is an edible bread that is dense
enough to serve as a 8" or so platter, that I can put some sauced food on
without the bread falling apart before the diner is done eating. I admit
that since this is a 'very very alcohol-heavy' event, I am trying to
maximize opportunities for carbs to be eaten. Thus the use of complimentary
sauces that will soak slightly into the bread and encourage the folks to
pick at it as they relax at their tables.

I'm sorry for using 'poorman's authenticity' as a phrase. I had been
thinking, "what a poor modern researcher would have come up with limited
resources", not "what a poor man in medieval times would have eaten".

I like the pumpernickel idea. And the whole wheat - many of our folks enjoy
that (we have some good bakers in the group, who are taking a vacation from
cooking right now). It looks like I can use a blend of white and assorted
grains (why bake all the same kind?) and it should work just fine.

Thank you,
Hrothny
*scotch eggs have been specifically requested by the autocrat, so I'm making
a batch. But since this is a tavern, I will only be making about 2 dozen -
my cook team is going to have a *variety* of meats and sides since there's
no 'feast' and each plate will be sent out on demand as the diner presents
their dinner token to the servers. It's an easy way to deal with allergies
and have fun cooking at the same time. Well, easy if one has a long steam
table, that is.