[Sca-cooks] Wine v. Vinegar [Was: Slight rant on logic [Was: Sauerbraten]]

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Fri Feb 4 10:53:34 PST 2005

Greetings,

I saw questions, thoughts, speculations, musings on:

	Wine v. Vinegar;

	A Slight on Ranting about Logic;

	A Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

And thought of

	Homer's "Wine-Dark Sea"

... and having been told in high school that in the time of
Ancient or Archaic Greece, they drank blue wine -- something
[foolish] about resinous wine and alkaline rich water.

... but the Truth is both simple and more interesting ...

    Even when Calypso warns him that he will suffer
    still more trials, Odysseus replies,

    "And if a god will wreck me yet again on the wine-dark sea,
    I can bear that too, with a spirit tempered to endure.
    Much have I suffered, labored long and hard by now
    in the waves and wars. Add this to the total--
    bring the trial on!"

from [   "Homer's Odyssey in the Past"  ]
http://www.tcnj.edu/~odyssey/essays.html

    The best history of this phrase is an article by R.
    Rutherford-Dyer, "Homer's Wine-Dark Sea", Greece &
    Rome, v. 30 (October 1983), p. 125-128.

    Homer's Greek for "wine-dark" is oinos, an expression
    that translates to something like "sunset-red."

    It occurs in the Iliad when Achilles, after Patroclus'
    funeral, is looking out over the water with the sun
    going down, in the Odyssey when Telemachus sails all
    night to Pylos, and when Odysseus' ship is destroyed
    in a storm.

    It is translated in many ways, such as "wine-blue" in
    Richard Lattimore's version, and scholars had thought
    it a romantic nonsense phrase.

    Rutherford-Dyer happened to be on the coast of Maine
    when Mt. St. Helens erupted, and the sunsets became
    quite glorious, turning the Atlantic to the color of
    Mavrodaphni wine.  From that he reasoned that Homer
    was describing the dark red sunsets that obtain when
    large amounts of dust are in the air, or when storm
    clouds are gathering.

from "The Wine-Dark Sea";
http://pages.towson.edu/colson/default_files/wine.htm

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick