[Sca-cooks] Stuffed egg recipe was re: Midrealm News Regarding Cooks

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 07:49:50 PST 2005

There was a little license with this recipe.  The original is from the Libro di cucina the anonymous venetian cookbook from the 14th/15th century, so they are period food (see below).  For feast ease the stuffing was made with the cooked egg yolks, cream cheese, a little sour cream to loosen, fresh thyme, fresh parsley, ginger, salt and pepper.  We didn't add raw egg yolks and fry them to make it easier for a feast (frying over 300 egg halves would have been a bit much).  The crispy bacon sprinkles were purely a way of making people eat them, you could leave that bit off, but they worked well with the eggs).   Sorry I don't have amounts, but the recipe went something like. Buy hard boiled shelled eggs from Sams club (what a find, amazing things, and not badly priced either), cut eggs in half put yolks in a huge bowl.  Break up yolks, add about 4lb cream cheese, a bunch of chopped parsley, a couple tablespoons fresh thyme.  Salt, pepper and ginger to taste, sour cream to loosen and
 mash/mix with hands until smooth.

Helewyse

XLVII Stuffed eggs
If you want to make stuffed eggs.  Take the eggs and put them to boil and make sure that they are hard cooked.  When they are cooked pull them out (of the hot water) and put them in cold water.  Peel and slice (the eggs) in half and remove the yolk (reserve).  Take the fattest sweetest cheese that you have.  Take the best herbs that you have, peel them (from the stalk) wash and grind them together in a mortar.  When they (the herbs) are well ground take the egg yolks, the cheese and spices and put them in the mortar with the good herbs.  Grind all these things together to make a fine paste and temper (mix) with raw eggs until it is good (has the right consistency).  Meanwhile put a frying pan over the fire.  Take the egg halves and stuff with the paste (of egg yolks and cheese) and put them to cook (in the frying pan).  When they are cooked remove from the pan and powder them with sugar before serving them hot to the table.  And if you want to serve them savory take them (without
 sugaring them), etc.

> . . . Especially the stuffed eggs with bacon (yum).

This sounds intriguing. I'm doubting that it's "period for the SCA", but
still - does anyone happen to have a recipe for it? It'd make a fine
addition to the fighter's practise sideboard. (Our fighters rarely eat
before practise so those of us who attend just to hang out sometimes bring
munchies to share.)

hrothny