[Sca-cooks] Dimensions

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Feb 7 20:05:00 PST 2005

I'm reading "On Divers Arts" and looking at the forge in the third book,
chapter 3. Can anyone tell me how they're measuring here?

Many of the measurements are in "fingers". Are we talking length or width? I
know the measurement, "hands" was started, for horses, as the width of the
palm, and has been standardized to 4 inches by equestrians, but I'm not sure
about fingers.

Also, does anyone know, had they standardized "feet" by then? The book
itself is believed to be 12th century, more German than anything else.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.