[Sca-cooks] Re:Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 21, Issue 68LentenFast

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 13:49:28 PST 2005

Benedicte,
Okay here's another little thingy, technically the
time period you just described, between Palm Sunday
and Easter, called 'Holy Week' is not actually counted
as part of Lent, and the fast becomes much more
severe, limited to only vegan, typically bread, water
and uncooked vegatables or plain cooked cereal, no
dairy remember...My nephew(my sister's son) calls this
Peanut Butter week! cause that is his staple, but he's
24 and well, his fathers' child...lol!

No biggie, just adding to the trivia... The last three
days, Holy(also called by the English, Maundy)Thursday
recounts the Last Supper/Passover Seder leading to
Jesus betrayal late that night, Good Friday is His
Trial/Passion and Death/Burial and the Holy Saturday a
day when the world spiritually mourns the God
Incarnate until Midnight/Dawn with the news of the
Resurrection. These three days are known in the West
as the Triumvirate, three holydays of obligation upon
no work is to be done, save that of animal husbandry
or charity.

In the East these days are called the days of Awe,
when the cosmos turns on its head, much more dangerous
than the solstice or equinox or any phase of the moon,
at least according to some of the stories in the
Philokalia, a collection of mystical writings of
various eastern fathers.

Johann

Oh, and you can count me in!

> Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:42:12 -0800
> From: "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at jeffnet.org>
> Subject: RE: [Sca-cooks] a Lenten question-

> At 05:38 AM 2/10/2005, you wrote:
> >Yeah, I might be up for that.  Shall we start
> planning menus?
> >Christianna
> >also not a Catholic, but interested for the dietary
> benefits and the
> >research aspects of the project
>
> That make three :-)
>
> As for planning, why not? We have roughly six weeks
> to figure it out. Not
> that we *need* six weeks, but we might take it,
> especially since we are
> likely to have a short spate of 'Twinkie' comments
> when folks head off for
> Estrella...
>
> 'Lainie

> O it is excellent to have a giant's strength; but it
> is tyrannous To use it
> like a giant--Shakespeare, Measure for Measure, Act
> II
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:55:16 -0800
> From: "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at jeffnet.org>
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] a Lenten question-

> 2. One week only, From the morning of Palm Sunday,
> until we break the fast
> at Easter.
>
> 3. This is supposed to education and fun. If it
> becomes neither, don't feel
> bad about dropping out.
>
> 4. And be sure to share recipes, ideas, etc!
>
> Does this work for everyone?
>
> 'Lainie
> -Cat Wrangler

=====
www.geocities.com/mjloidolt/marcus_page.html
"Let Charity be your hallmark and model for all you do,
if it is not loving, don't do it, it it is loving,
let nothing stop you from doing whatever is needed!"
(St. John Neumann)
"Have no fear or doubt anything and everything you give in this life will be paid back ahundred fold in the next"