[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 21, Issue 74

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 11 09:38:52 PST 2005

You are right.  As a general rule, castration generally involves only the testicles, and always has.

Don't know about sheep, never raised them, but we always removed the penis from our castrated cattle only at butchering time.  It has only been recently (say within the last 40-50 years) that penectomized bulls have been used to mark fertile cows.  Those, however, must be UNcastrated so that they might do their jobs.

Poor guy has to go through life without a guy's favorite toy, and with this big blue ball of pool cue chalk strapped under his chin...

Mordonna (casually strolling toward the rock)

Jadwiga asked:

Um... dumb question... people keep talking about beef here-- why? Also,
I'm wondering if this recipe is for something cut off during neutering
of the sheep, or for something that you get when you slaughter the
wether... I guess I don't know all that much about period methods of
neutering rams. Nowadays an elastic band is used around the testicles,
so the penis wouldn't be removed until slaughtering.

> --
> "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
> production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."
> -Frank Zappa

Pat Griffin
Lady Anne du Bosc
known as Mordonna the Cook