[Sca-cooks] Lenten Question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Feb 11 18:02:46 PST 2005

Cynara commented:
> It seems to me (not a Catholic) that the Lenten diet is no more
> restrictive
> than many others. And it is probably not particularly difficult when
> everyone around you is following the same diet, as a medieval Catholic
> would
> be. It is the concept of "giving up" that makes it seem difficult to
> the
> modern, and/or non-Catholic, mind.
I'm not sure that this concept was any easier for the medieval mind
considering the number of work-arounds such as almond milk or defining
unborn rabbits as non-meat. Or the complaints of the northern Europeans
about butter being banned, but not olive oil.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com