[Sca-cooks] Re: Cheese/Cheese-curd making

Wildecelery at aol.com Wildecelery at aol.com
Mon Feb 14 14:12:16 PST 2005

I took a class on period bag cheeses at Pennsic, several years ago.   The  handout I have does not say anything about heating or boiling the vinegar.

Basics:
Heat milk(or milk/cream mixture) until "uncomfortable to the touch", but not boiling
Add vinegar 1/3 c at a time until  it starts to separate
Drain through a cloth-lined colander
Tie up corners and let drip

Notes:
1) I use a plain cotton handkerchief as a "liner" most of the time.
2)I have found that you get a milder flavor using white wine vinegar, cider vinegar is ok  and plain white vinegar is passable, though sometimes strong
3) If you want to add herbs for flavor, I found this easies to do while pouring the separated mixture into the stariner, as opposed to trying to "knead" herbs into the finidhes spread or cheese
4) if left to drip overnight, or  more than 5 hours, the cheese mass hardens into a still somewhat spreadable, but more solid ball which can be sliced or crumbled

-Ardenia