[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Re: Raw vs. pasteurized yogurt?

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Fri Feb 25 21:30:35 PST 2005

Maggie, I should clarify.  Common recipes for yogurt involve heating the
milk to 180-185 degrees F, then cooling it to 110 degrees before
innoculating it.  That  partly denaturing the proteins which makes the
yogurt smoother and firmer.  It also pasteurizes the milk, if you're
starting with it raw; Or re-pasteurizes it, if you are using pasteurized
milk.  (Pasteurizing is defined as holding at 145 degrees for 30 minutes
or 161 degrees for 15 seconds.)  By raw yogurt, I mean literally raw -
it's never heated above the 110 degrees of the yogurt maker.  You take
the milk straight from the refrigerator to the yogurt maker (or warm it
gently, only to 110 degrees, on the stove first.)  It tends to be
runnier and less smooth.  Personally, I don't care for the raw yogurt,
but I'm wondering if there's any truth to Sally Fallon's claim that it
is the longstanding traditional way of making it.

Thanks again :)
-Magdalena vander Brugghe

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

'Normal' is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work, driving through traffic in a car you are still paying for, in order to get to the job that you need so you can pay for the clothes, car, and the house that you leave empty all day in order to afford to live in it. -Ellen Goodman

[T]o admit authorities, however heavily furred and gowned, into our libraries and let them tell us how to read, what to read, what value to place upon what we read, is to destroy the spirit of freedom which is the breath of those sanctuaries. -Virginia Woolf