[Sca-cooks] A college class... on Coffee

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sat Feb 26 22:48:44 PST 2005

Just saw this on CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/02/25/coffee.class.ap/index.html

The prof is teach the class not _just_ on coffee, but on the social and
cultural brew (!) we've formed around it.

I was particularly interested, largely because of the many conversations
we've had on the list- about hot drinks in general, and coffee in
particular- seem to center around a 'period substitute' for coffee. I have
long believed (and will continue to rant, whether anyone hears me or not
;-) that looking for and/or using a coffee substitute in an SCA setting is
missing the point- because there is really no similar _cultural tradition_
for the consumption of hot drinks in period, as we have now. Coffee
drinking in our culture is not simply a way to slake thirst- it is an act
of public participation, a social act. Closest I've found to similar social
act in period revolved around the ale house. And well, there are other
issues there...

Anyway, I thought the article was interesting,

'Lainie