[Sca-cooks] hydrosols

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Feb 26 22:59:38 PST 2005

   Jadwiga Zajaczkowa asked William de Grandfort:
> >> I picked up two 10-ounce bottles of Indo-European Rosewater at
> >> Ralph's Supermarket for $1.49 each.
> >> Nice price, and good quality.  They also had Orange Flower Water,
> but
> >> I prefer to make my own.
> >
> > Interesting. Are you making a hydrosol of the flowers, or just an
> > infusion?
>
> When I make it, I usually start with a hydrosol, and use that to make
> a simple orange water, depending on the strength I want in the final
> product.  If I am
> spraying it on finished baked goods, I will usually dilute the orange
> hydrosol with a little bit of alcohol (brandy or vodka) instead of
> water.
>
> I have found that, during the distillation of the flowers, adding a
> tiny bit of honey gives the resulting brew a nice complexity, ...

Okay, so what precisely is a "hydrosol"? Is this simply a distillation
of the water which something has been soaked in? Or perhaps the flower
or whatever is left in when the water is boiled?

> I got into making my own orange flower water many years ago, when
> experimenting with the distillation of fruit and plant essences for a
> culinary article (which
> never made it into the National Culinary Review because, little did I
> know, they had already done an article on it).

So, what happened to the article? Did you get far enough long that it
was publishable? I do understand that is likely to be modern and not on
period techniques or history.
> I would recommend the following combinations for anyone wishing to
> experiment:
>
> Kefir Lime Leaves and Mint
> Orange flower and Rosemary
> Orange flower and Honey
> Pineapple and Mint (especially when dropped into a Rum and Coke!!!)
> Muskmelon and Cucumber
> Thyme and Scallion
I think only a few of these have any chance of being period. So what
period hydrosols were there? Rosewater and orange flower water?
Anything else? Perhaps mints?

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------