[Sca-cooks] Savoury Tosted Cheese Goo

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Feb 1 06:07:11 PST 2005

Also sprach Ysabeau:
>I'm working on my entry in a Savoury Tosted Cheese Goo competition. (NO
>PEEKING, Stefan!).
>
>I am trying to find a "different" combination of cheeses. I have the basics
>of what I want to do and it tastes good, but the consistency is a bit off.
>
>I tried using Queso Fresco and Neuchatel I got at the local farmers market
>for the cheeses and I think the Queso Fresco is what gave it the grainy
>texture. It tastes yummy but the texture is a bit grainy. My reasoning for
>the Queso Fresco is because I thought it would be closer to period cheeses
>than anything I can buy in the grocery store. It is very fresh and has no
>preservatives. If you don't know Queso Fresco, it is a bit crumbly and melts
>well. It has a very mild flavor. I guess we can't really know for sure how
>it was in period, but the cheese goos I've had in the past were more creamy.
>
>The challenge is to come up with a new perspective of Digbie's recipe.
>"Anyone using Cariadoc's redaction will be smeared with their own cheese
>goo." (Unless you are Cariadoc, of course.) I'm really new at redacting
>recipes and purposely did not go look at Cariadoc's recipe before starting
>this. I'll post my recipe afterward for comments and feedback...for now I
>don't want to give away any secrets ~grin~.
>
>So any alternate cheese suggestions? I was thinking maybe fontina? Or
>gruyere?

Well, it's an English dish (actually an English dish emulating a
Welsh tradition), and about cheeses, it specifically instructs the
cook to use "quick, fat, rich, well tasted cheese, (as the best of
Brye, cheshire, &c, or sharp thick cream cheese). I think the use of
cream cheese probably started just as a misunderstanding of that last
term, which refers to a cheese made from cream, and not that
gum-emulsified Philly stuff.

As for what cheese to use, I'd be mostly concerned with finding a
cheese that didn't harden too dramatically as it cools, at least not
when mixed with butter and such. Maybe a mixture from among the
cheeses likely to have been known to Digby... my experience with
Cheshire is that it has a slight graininess when melted (more so than
farmhouse Cheddar). As for Fontina or Gruyere, they'd do the job, but
probably aren't something Digby would have experienced. Hmmm...
There's always Parmigiano-Reggiano mixed with a full-cream cheese...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04