[Sca-cooks] Re: heraldry & ceramics

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Feb 1 06:29:47 PST 2005

If you check through the V&A Access to Images
you can find a number of items that show coats of arms.
There's 17th century earthenware for instance that is quite
splendid. There are several pieces of that in fact.
There are also brass and copper plates with coats of arms.
But I didn't locate anything that is 14th century tableware.
Your friend might consider glassware with coats of arms.
See
Goblet and case
Title 	The Luck of Edenhall
Date 	13th century
(Case) 14th century

The glassware is Mideastern but the case is French or English.
It's also early enough. The description goes into the nobles
buying items in an international market. So someone in France
might have purchased Italian glassware for instance.
There are a number of German glasses
in the V&A with coats of arms but they are 16th century and later.
http://www.vam.ac.uk/

The British Museum online has this object up.
http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/compass

The Aldrevandini Beaker Venice, around AD 1330
The Aldrevandini beaker is a uniquely well-preserved example from a
group of glass vessels produced in Venice at the end of the thirteenth
and the beginning of the fourteenth century.
Beneath the inscription are three heraldic shields set against a
background of leaves. Two of the shields are yellow, one decorated with
three blue stags' horns and the other with red keys. The third consists
of black and white horizontal bars. This combination of three different
shields suggests that the heraldry is purely decorative and that the
beaker was not produced for a specific person or family.

There are also a number of 16th century Maiolica dishes
such as that From Deruta, Umbria, Italy, around AD 1490-1525 which
feature coats of arms.

Johnnae