[Sca-cooks] Natron

Jeff Elder scholari at verizon.net
Fri Feb 4 13:35:57 PST 2005

So I searched the Florilegium (DOH!) for Natron coming up with Soap making and poisons..  As one of several things to take when suspecting being poisoned.  Reminds me of a passage in "A Soup for the Qan" a mixture of chicken droppings and wood ash.  BTW the lady that read that out of the same book really admired the handwriting in there....

As Bear mentioned looking at the broader scope of what this and other simular substances were used for.  Making glass, early on - mummifying, possibly making soap.  I would be afraid to sprinkle it on anything I was wanting to put in my body!  With the uses in ridding oneself of poisons, it had its medicinal properties.  But that fun salty flavor for foods is a key point.  In playing with the Poppy seed balls I did hit ne point where the soda flavor came through fairly strongly.  Personally I liked it.

Simon Hondy