[Sca-cooks] Re: vinegar and sauerbraten

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Feb 4 14:36:53 PST 2005

Ever hear of moonshine?  That's homemade also.

Grappa is a poor man's brandy that was made out in the barn from the garbage
left over from pressing the grapes for the winemaking.  Ferment it, distill
it and you have some pretty raw rotgut on the cheap.  Just the kind of thing
a poor farmer can knockout inexpensively, remembering that the maize needs
to be saved to feed the animals.

Commercial production has been around since at least the 18th Century, but
Grappa's move upscale is a fairly recent thing.

Bear