[Sca-cooks] Butterfat content?

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 14:49:47 PST 2005

--- Tara Sersen Boroson <tara at kolaviv.com> wrote:

> I've been making my own butter for a while now, and just changed
> allegiences to another farm for my raw cream.  From the first farm, I
> was getting about 9 oz of butter from a quart of cream - it really
> didn't pay to make it at that rate.  Now I'm getting about a pound per
> quart.  So, out of curiosity, I'm trying to figure out the butterfat
> content of the cream.  Is there any fault to my logic here?
>
> I'm figuring, the quart of cream weighed about 2 lbs, and I got 1 lb of
> butter, which is 50%.  About 15% of butter is water, so I'm figuring the
> cream is approximately 42.5% butterfat.

The 'Manufacturing Cream' I used to buy in bulk for Hotel kitchen use was 35 - 40 % butterfat
content, and that had been processed.  So, I would imagine that the raw cream you are now getting
is roughly in the 40 + range.  At least, it is not out of the realm of possibility.  Your Dairyman
should be required to monitor the butterfat content of his cream, so you should ask him.  He
should be able to tell you the approximate butterfat content.  The final percentage will depend
upon which method, and which equipment he uses to seperate the cream from the milk.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.