[Sca-cooks] Lemons in Middle English

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 6 00:17:54 PST 2005

> > [Story.]
> >
> > yenst him, she kytte of al the longe her of
> hir hede, and cladde hir in
> > precious clothing like to
> > a man; and yede to the palys þere as hir
> lemon was to be demyd, and saluyd
> > þe Iustice; and al they
> > trowid þat she had be a knite. And þe Iuge
> Enquerid
>
> I think the lemon in this writing is actually
> leman, a(n illicit) lover.

Oh, you beat me to it!  That was my very first
thought also.

I first heard that word when learning to sing
English Madrigals, after I joined the SCA, 30
some years ago, in a madrigal by William Cornish,
called, "Ah Robin, Gentle Robin".  Here are
the lyrics:

Ah Robin, gentle Robin,
Tell me how thy leman doth,
And thou shalt know of mine.

My lady is unkind, iwis.
Alac, why is she so?
She lov'th another better than me,
And yet she will say no.

Ah Robin, gentle Robin,
Tell me how thy leman doth,
And thou shalt know of mine.

I cannot think such doubleness
For I find women true;
In faith my lady lov'th me well;
She will change for no new.

Ah Robin, gentle Robin,
Tell me how thy leman doth,
And thou shalt know of mine.

Huette

PS: From the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Main Entry: le·man
Pronunciation: 'le-m&n, 'lE-
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English lefman, leman, from lef
lief
archaic: SWEETHEART, LOVER; especially : MISTRESS

=====
shall never cease to be amused.