[Sca-cooks] Noty or Notye

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Feb 6 11:52:58 PST 2005

It's highly unlikely that lemons were ever being grown in the
British Isles in orchards during the Middle Ages.
Lemons are cold sensitive-- that means they cannot grow
in northern climes.
Here's an article that addresses the fact that they have
problems growing them in Arizona today--
http://www.tucsongardener.com/Year98/novdec98/frost.htm
Here's one on growing them in Texas--
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/citrus/lemons.htm
So given these facts---What exactly leads you to believe that  they grew
Lemons
in Britain in the middle ages? Do you think that Britain was
all that tropical during the medieval period?

Johnnae llyn Lewis