[Sca-cooks] Lemons in Middle English

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Feb 6 12:53:25 PST 2005

What you will probably find is the body counts of the men who died from
scurvy.  The first European use of citrus fruit against scurvy that I know
of is the voyage of James Lancaster of the East India Company (1601-02).
Lancaster dosed his men with lemon juice at Cape Good Hope, then laid in
stores of lemons and oranges at Madagascar, so that he arrived in India
without having lost a man to scurvy.

There is an account in 1734 of a marrooned seaman curing scurvy by eating
scurvy grass (Cochleria officinalis), which led to naval surgeon James
Lind's experiments with scurvy victims in 1747.  Lind's "Treatise on the
Scurvy" containing the citrus cure was published in 1753.  His theories were
tested by a British fleet in 1794 and rations of lime juice were ordered on
all long voyages in 1795.  The order was reissued in 1884 after another
outbreak of scurvy.

BTW, James Cook's used sauerkraut to combat scurvy on a voyage of just over
3 years in the South Seas having only one man succumb to scurvy.  Upon his
return in 1775, he was awarded the Copely Medal of the Royal Society for
defeating scurvy.

Bear